PA474 /KC-A Lancaster N.1 Battle of Britain Memorial Flight PA474 is one of only two Lancasters in flying condition in the world, the other being owned and flown by the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum.
PA474 was built by Vickers-Armstrongs Ltd at Chester in 1945 and was to be part of the British Tiger Force for strategic bombing in the Far East. With the end of the war with Japan the aircraft was not needed and PA474 entered storage. With gun turrets removed it was assigned to Photographic Reconnaissance duties with 82 Squadron in East and South Africa.
On return from squadron service PA474 was loaned to Flight Refuelling Limited to be used as a pilotless drone. Flight Refuelling used an Avro Lincoln instead and PA474 was then transferred to the College of Aeronautics, Cranfield, Bedfordshire to be used for trials on the Handley Page laminar flow wing. The test wings were mounted vertically above the rear fuselage.
In 1964 she came under the control of the Air Historical Branch for possible display in the proposed RAF Museum. During this time she appeared in two films: Operation Crossbow and The Guns of Navarone. Following a request from 44 Squadron the Lancaster moved to RAF Waddington for restoration back to wartime standard including fitting back the front and rear turrets.
PA474 was transferred to the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight in 1973. In 1975 a mid-upper turret was found in Argentina and fitted. During the winter of 1995 the Lancaster was fitted with a new main spar to extend her flying life.